Most platforms that earn you money online will request a US, UK, or GBP bank account. Since you do not reside in the US or UK, how will you be able to get your earnings? There are many platforms out there that will get you these three virtual accounts but many of them come with a very low exchange rate.
Payoneer, for example, has been known for a long time and is very trustworthy, but the exchange rate on this platform is very low. This makes you wonder if there are any platforms available for Nigerians, where you could get an exchange rate the same or close to the black market rate.
In a previous article, I showed you how to create a virtual account with Grey.co. The grey website is still fully functional only that their USD account no longer works with Amazon, Payoneer, and PayPal.
So, I got to know about this new website that provides you with everything that the Grey account gives you and even includes a feature that is not available on the Grey website. If you want to create a virtual USD, Euro, or GBP account, go to this new website called GeegPay.africa.
The rest of this article explains all you need to know about this new platform, GeegPay.
1. Works with PayPal, Payoneer, and Amazon
I have tested the website and everything with the website is functional. The USD account here can be used to withdraw funds from PayPal, Payoneer, and Amazon. Like Grey and Payoneer, creating a virtual account is free, and you only need to prove your identity.
You can also link this virtual account to Payoneer so that you can withdraw your Payoneer funds at the black market rate. I guess everybody knows Payoneer’s rate is very low. The rate at the time of writing is NGN445, which is the official CBN rate. If you still withdraw from Payoneer straight to your Naira account, you are losing a lot of money.
Learn how to withdraw from Paypal to your GeegPay virtual account in this video.
2. Virtual Dollar Card for PayPal Verification and International Payment
A feature this website has that you cannot find on the Grey website is that you can request a virtual USD card. And the card can be funded from either your USD, UK, or GBP account. You can also fund this card from your Nigeria bank account as well. This is a very good option for Nigerians, especially now that most banks have limited the spending limit on their cards to $20.
Even platforms that provide us with USD virtual cards are having difficulties right now, an example is a barter by Flutter Wave. Hopefully, the issues get resolved, but for now, you have GeegPay virtual card, to make all your online payments.
Learn how to create and fund your card from your local bank account in the video below.
3. Unbeatable Exchange Rate
The exchange rate on the GeegPay platform is by far the best when it comes to recieving funds. The exchange rate is the same as the black market rate and it is updated daily has the prices in the parallel market changes. These are the exchange rate on the platform at the time of writing.
How to Register for a GeegPay Account
To register and verify your GeegPay account, follow this process,
- Go to https://geegpay.africa.
- On the right-side corner, click on Open an account.
- Provide all your necessary details, including your name, email, and password.
- When you are done, click on Continue. Then the website will ask you to verify your email address.
- After verifying your email address, you will be taken to the dashboard. You can’t request a virtual account yet until you have verified your identity.
- You will have to do the rest on your phone because you will need to verify your identity by taking a selfie of yourself and providing your NIN number. All you need is your NIN number, not even your NIN slip or Card and utility bill. You can also use your voter’s card or license card for your ID verification. Then you will also need to upload any utility bill like the Nepa bill to verify your address.
- After ID verification, you can request virtual cards. You can request GBP, USD, Euro, and Naira bank accounts. Your USD account will be given to you immediately after you request one, but your Euro and GBP accounts may take a week.
Learn how to create the account step-by-step in this video
Because the Grey USD virtual account no longer works with PayPal Payoneer, Amazon, and most platforms, that does not mean that you cannot carry out any transaction on the platform again. I still currently use the Grey virtual account for transactions that have to do with Euro and GBP but for PayPal withdrawals, the Grey USD account no longer works. So if you are the type that makes Grey your means of withdrawing from PayPal, You now have the GeegPay account.
The rate on the two websites is the same, only that I found Grey updates their currency to the latest black market rate faster than GeegPay. GeegPay takes about two days before the rates are updated. GeegPay transactions are completed faster than Grey.co. Normally it takes 2-3 days for a transaction to be completed on Grey, but with GeegPay, it takes less than 24hrs.
Nevertheless, it is a good thing to have multiple options so that in case one is having any issues, you can quickly use the other option you have. So, you should have both the Grey and GeegPay account.
GeegPay is currently the best alternative to Payoneer for Nigerians. The account can be linked to your PayPal for withdrawal, and you can also use it as your payment method for other platforms that request international payment.
Grey.co on the other hand is also working perfectly, just that you can only use the Euro and GBP bank account as the USD account no longer works for payment and ACH transfers. If you have any questions or doubts, let me know in the comment section below.