PayPal is a platform that allows you to create an account that can send funds and receive funds without disclosing your details. This platform is used by individuals and large industries, especially if your business is international. You can easily send and receive money from any part of the world quickly and create an account for free.
As good as this platform is, you probably have reasons to close your PayPal account if you are here. Most of the popular reasons people tend to close their accounts are that they probably have a duplicate account, their business is closing, or they have switched to other platforms like Venmo and Wise. Whatever the reasons, closing your account is very easy, but there are a few things you have to do before closing your account.
Read Also: How to Open a PayPal Account
Things to Note Before Closing Your PayPal Account
Before closing your Paypal account there are things you need to note and actions you have to take.
- Firstly, you should know that when you close your PayPal account, It will be permanently deleted, that is, the account is gone for good.
- Before deleting your PayPal account, it is important to make sure that you have resolved any outstanding issues, such as outstanding balances or unresolved disputes. If you have any unresolved issues, you won’t be able to close your PayPal account.
- If you have any subscriptions or automatic payments set up through PayPal, you will need to cancel these before deleting your account.
- It is also a good idea to download a copy of your transaction history and account information before deleting your account. This can be done through the “Transaction” section under “Activities”. This will give you a record of your transactions and account information in case you need it in the future.
- Once you have completed the process of deleting your PayPal account, your account information will be permanently deleted from PayPal’s systems and you will no longer be able to use PayPal to send or receive payments.
- If you have linked your PayPal account to any other accounts, such as your bank account or credit card, you will need to unlink these accounts before deleting your PayPal account.
- Upon account Deletion, PayPal will cancel any outstanding payment requests, and the user will no longer have access to any promo codes and coupons.
- After canceling your account, you won’t be able to use the PayPal Smart Connect account, the company’s internal line of credit.
- It is important to note that deleting your PayPal account will not close any accounts you have with other financial institutions, such as your bank or credit card company. You will need to contact these institutions directly to close any accounts you have with them.
Read Also: Best Payoneer Alternative
How to Close Your PayPal Account
If you no longer want to use PayPal to send or receive payments, you may decide to permanently close your account. This is a simple process that can be completed in just a few steps.
How to Close PayPal Account on Desktop/Web
To permanently close/delete your PayPal account, follow these steps:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click on the “Profile” icon in the top right corner of the page.
- Click on “Account Settings”
- On the left corner, Click on the “Account Preference” link under the “Account & Security” section.
- Next, click on “Close Account”
- Follow the prompts to confirm that you want to close your account. You may need to provide a reason for closing your account and resolve any issues, such as outstanding balances or disputes.
- Once you have completed the process, your account will be permanently closed and you will no longer be able to use PayPal to send or receive payments.
Why can’t I delete my PayPal account?
There are a few reasons why you might not be able to delete your PayPal account:
- You have outstanding balances or unresolved disputes: Before you can delete your PayPal account, you need to make sure that you have resolved any outstanding balances or disputes. If you have an outstanding balance on your account, you will need to pay it off before you can close your account. If you have an unresolved dispute, you will need to resolve it before you can close your account.
- You have linked accounts or subscriptions: If you have linked your PayPal account to any other accounts, such as your bank account or credit card, you will need to unlink these accounts before deleting your PayPal account. Similarly, if you have any subscriptions or automatic payments set up through PayPal, you will need to cancel these before deleting your account.
- You have not completed the account closure process: To delete your PayPal account, you need to follow the steps to permanently close your account. If you have not completed this process, you will not be able to delete your account.
- You’re not following PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy: PayPal has so many policies, if you are not in compliance with this policy, limitations will be placed on your account, and you won’t be able to close your account as well.
Can I delete my PayPal and start over?
No, closing your PayPal account is a permanent action and cannot be undone. However, you can delete your PayPal account and start over by opening a new account.