NHIF penalties refer to the charges imposed by the National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) on members who fail to pay their contributions on time or fail to make payments altogether. NHIF is a government agency that provides medical insurance to Kenyan citizens, and all formal sector employees must contribute to the scheme.
The NHIF penalties are intended to encourage members to pay their contributions promptly and to deter individuals from defaulting on their payments. Failure to pay NHIF contributions on time can result in the imposition of penalties, which can accumulate over time and result in a significant financial burden.
NHIF penalties are calculated based on the number of unpaid contributions and the duration of the default. The current penalty rate is 5% of the outstanding contributions per month, up to a maximum of 25% of the total outstanding contributions. This means that if you fail to pay your NHIF contributions for six months, you will be charged a penalty equivalent to 30% of the total unpaid contributions.
It’s worth noting that NHIF penalties are not a one-time charge. If you continue to default on your payments, the penalties will continue to accumulate, making it even more difficult to catch up with your payments.
In this article, I will be showing you how to check and pay your NHIF penalty online.
How to Check NHIF Penalties online
You can check your NHIF penalty details in three ways. You can check on their website, or app, or using an SMS code.
Check NHIF Penalties on the Website/Portal
- Visit the NHIF Website: The first step in checking NHIF penalties online is to visit the official NHIF website at www.nhif.or.ke.
- Click on “Self Service”: On the NHIF website, click on the “Self Service” tab on the top menu bar.
- Click on “Member Portal”: On the “Self Service” page, click on “Member Portal” to access the NHIF member portal.
- Log in to the Member Portal: To log in to the NHIF member portal, you will need to enter your NHIF number and your ID number. Once you have entered your details, click on “Login”.
- View Your Account: Once you have logged in to the member portal, you will be able to view your NHIF account details, including any penalties that may have been imposed.
- Check Your Penalties: To check your NHIF penalties, click on the “Statements” tab on the top menu bar. You will be able to view your NHIF contributions for the current year as well as any penalties that may have been imposed.
- Download Your Penalty Statement: To download your NHIF penalty statement, click on the “Download Penalty Statement” button. You can then save the statement as a PDF file or print it out for your records.
Check NHIF Penalties Via SMS
You can also check your NHIF penalties via SMS. To do this;
- Go to your mobile phone SMS app.
- Go to Compose Message.
- In the recipient space, enter 21101.
- Then the message content box, you enter your ID number (or passport number where applicable).
- Then press the Send button.
- You will receive a message showing your registration details, penalties, and last payment due date.
Check NHIF Penalties Via Mobile App
- Download and install the My NHIF App from the Google Play store or Apple store.
- Navigate to Other Service.
- In the provided space, Input your ID number, then request OTP
- Enter the OTP sent to your phone number and log in to your dashboard.
- Next, click on Payment and Status.
- Select Query Status.
- Select if you want to check the status for yourself or someone else.
- A message showing your penalties, and due date will be displayed.
How to Pay NHIF Penalties Via Mpesa
- Head over to M-Pesa
- Click on Lipa Na M-Pesa.
- Choose Paybill.
- Enter the pay bill Number 200222.
- Enter your National ID number as the account number and add the letter ‘Y,’ for instance, 12345678y. The use of this letter treats the payment as a penalty.
- Enter the amount to pay.
- Input your M-Pesa PIN and click the send button.
- You will receive a confirmation message containing the details of your NHIF payment.
In conclusion, checking NHIF penalties online is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. By following the steps outlined above, you can access the NHIF member portal and view your account details, including any penalties that may have been imposed. This will enable you to stay up-to-date with your NHIF contributions and ensure that you are not penalized for any missed payments.